Thursday, February 10, 2011

Zoo Two's

For Christmas, Grant's Uncle Sam and Rachel got Grant a pass for the zoo's "Zoo Two's" class. Its every Saturday for 6 Saturday's in a row! What a FANTASTIC gift this has been. We are always looking for things to do on the weekends esp during the colder months. Last Saturday we took Grant for his 1st class and it was a HIT! We started off by coloring and then gathering in a circle. The teacher talked about "Eyes" and what we see with them. The got up and walked around the room to look through different colored windows and explaining what they could see.
After that, they gathered back in a circle (I let Franklin take him since my belly gets in the way and I get to do stuff like this with him every week) and she explained to the kids how different animals have different eyes and proceeded to bring an animal out.
I wished this picture had come out clearer :( She first brought out a baby Owl, it was PRECIOUS! Grant LOVES birds and you should have seen his face when she got him out, he shouted "OOOH Dats an OWL DADDY".
Unfortunately, I do not recall this Owl's name!
Next she talked about animals that more than two eyes, and this particular one has 8.. who knew? It was a taranchula (sp?) named "Harriet". Grant liked her too!
Here is Grant asking his Daddy "You like dat Spida Daddy"?
After bringing out two animals, they had "craft time" where they made their own spider. They gave us clay, pipe cleaners, and paper clips.
Here is our finished product... I cant help but laugh at this.. he has legs coming out of his head! But who cares, Grant was VERY proud of it!
After that, they had story and a snack and class was dismissed. We were given permission to walk through the zoo if we wanted, but being that most of the animals arent out and the fact that it was snowing we went to see the fish and aquarium animals! Grant LOVED this, he could've stayed for hours. I can't wait to take him to Chattanooga to the big Aquarium!
He found an iguana.

I am NOT a fan of snakes... not in the least bit and I typically dont even like to look a them or see them on TV, but I couldn't help but take a picture of this dude... look at his blue eye. CREEPY and a little cool at the same time.
One of Grant's favorite movies is "Finding Nemo", and in the movie their is a Sting Ray named "Mr. Ray", and Grant was tickled to death when he found a black and white "Mr.Ray"
Next he found the frogs.. these guys were so neat... they dont even look real!


Im not sure what this thing was, he was a cross between a snake and a lizard. YUCK
And as I snapped this last picture, Franklin made fun of me and sd "A perfect ending for your blog post". Hahah.. but I couldn't help it.. he had such a great time and wore himself out!

THANK YOU RACHEL AND SAM for a very thoughtful gift! WE LOVE IT!

4 comments:

Emily G. said...

I agree - such an amazing gift! Especially b/c it's something you can do as a family! That pic of G sitting in Franklin's lap looking at him is precious btw! :)

Jessica said...

That is such a fun gift!! Love all of you pictures...probably could have lived without the snake photo...and yes the last photo is a prefect blog ending!!!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad it was a hit! They always say you should give a gift you would want for yourself, and believe me if I thought I could pass for a two-year-old I would have signed myself up! :-) I'm so jealous about the baby owl.

Thank you for posting all the pictures!! Hugs to you all.

Kelly Swindell and Tol Swindell said...

What a great gift! Gonna have to take the boys to the aquarium in Gatlinburg next year!